Supplemental Instructions Overview
AKA Architectural Supplemental Instruction (ASI).
Supplemental instructions are formal notifications used by architects to issue additional instructions or to order minor changes in the project. They are intended to assist the architects in performing their obligations as interpreters of the contract documents in accordance with the owner-architect agreement and the general conditions.
After the detail design is complete and a contract is awarded for the project, changes may occur that affect the project drawings and specifications. If the document change does not change the contract sum or the contract time, a supplemental instruction is issued. Changes to the contract drawings may be a result of:
Recognition of error/omission;
Reviewing agency request;
Request for substitution.
The recipient of the supplemental instructions may reject the proposed change (if the change affects schedule or cost) and indicate a change order proposal is needed.
Use the Supplemental Instructions activity center to:
● Enter supplemental instructions into the log either by:
● Creating the supplemental instructions if you originate them;
● Logging a received supplemental instruction if it was sent to you;
● Manage the supplemental instructions log:
● Sort the log by due date, received date, total days, etc.;
● Quickly see which supplemental instructions require attention;
● Create supplemental instruction reports.
● Record responses to supplemental instructions;
● If you review supplemental instructions, respond to the supplemental instructions author;
● Set project standards and create email/form templates to conform to your existing practice;
● Receive automatic reminders for supplemental instruction reviews that are nearing their due date;
● Send supplemental instruction information to team members at any time during the cycle;
● Associate email messages and supporting documents with a supplemental instruction (similar to submittals);
● Sort and track supplemental instructions by discipline and keywords.
Supplemental Instructions have an Email Log for tracking email messages. Use it to view related email and file email messages sent among team members about the supplemental instructions.
Info Exchange support
Supplemental Instructions can be reviewed and sent electronically through email or Info Exchange. Within Info Exchange, external project team members can review supplemental instructions that were forwarded to them for a review and reference supplemental instructions that were sent in the log. Internal project team members can review and track supplemental instructions using the full supplemental instructions log in Info Exchange, enabling them to track the supplemental instructions process via the web from any location.
Project Center users viewing the supplemental instructions log in Info Exchange will see the full log and all the associated actions. Users logging into Info Exchange who are not Project Center users will only see the actions on which they are listed. These settings can be changed in the Groups and Info Exchange tab of the Modify Project Team Member dialog box.
Table of Contents
Search (English only)